These are simply the business. If you want a satiating snack that has a great taste and a great crunch then look no further.
These add some great snap, crackle and pop to your day and they are fantastic for dipping, party food, an on the go snack, and an occasional snack for the kids.
They are ten times better than a bag of crisps or other such chemically laden foods, and encourage the head to tail eating of the animal. I made these for the first time back in the summer and my little lady loved them, as did I, they didn’t take long to disappear!
What you need:
- 1½ tbsp sea salt
- ¼tsp smoked paprika (sweet or hot)
- ½tsp whole cumin seeds
- ½tsp whole fennel seeds
- 500g pork rind or pork back fat, with at least 1cm of fat.
Please note that if you prefer to have plain scratchings you can do away with the spices and just use the salt.
What you need to do:
- Roast the whole spices until fragrant and grind together with paprika and then mix in ½ the salt.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 6.
- If the rind hasn’t been cut, a pair of sturdy scissors will do the job. Rub the rind with half of the salt and leave for 20 minutes, (this drys the fat out and will ensure it crackles and goes crispy).
- Put the pieces on a rack in a roasting tray without touching each other.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t have to use a rack but using one will drain some of the fat away and make them slightly crispier. Turn the roasting tray around every five minutes or so, making sure the rind doesn’t burn or catch.
- When the scratchings are bubbly and crisp they are ready to rock your world.
- Mix together the spices and hot scratchings in a bowl and toss to give them a good coating.